Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2013, 10:56   #226  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Also, less experienced users would probably in many cases not know what the script returns with this modification.
When you write a function in C for example, the compiler forces you to return from that function with the correct type and that makes sense. You don't dumb down the language because of convenience.
Avisynth is not C. Stop applying rules of normal languages to it. You don't want to write "return derp" in the end of every function/script, do you?

As for assignment on the last line being wrong argument, what about scripts like this:
Code:
super=MSuper(last, pel=4, planar=true)
pp_super=fft3dgpu().MSuper(pel=4, planar=true)

b1vec = MAnalyse(super, delta=1, isb=true, blksize=8, overlap=4,search=5)
f1vec = MAnalyse(super, delta=1, blksize=8, overlap=4,search=5)

b1clip = MCompensate(orig, super, b1vec, thSAD=400)
f1clip = MCompensate(orig, super, f1vec, thSAD=400)
Whoops, variable pp_super is unused, the user ended up calculating vectors on the wrong clip. This is a bug. And we did exactly nothing to prevent it. Now please explain me the reason why we should do something to prevent this kind of behavior if this assignment happens on the last line. Because it's easier to implement? Because it's always been like this? I think we either go full way preventing users from shooting in their own feet and forbid unused variables altogether (this is a bad idea please don't even consider this) or drop this kind of argument.

As for users not knowing what script returns: if this behavior got silently changed, how many people do you think would notice?

P.S. I'm sorry if I sound too "rude" and I should probably stop posting on the issue. The question was posted to get opinions, not arguing about them. Sorry.

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 6th November 2013 at 11:06. Reason: Millions of typos