View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 01:24   #774  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post
You've missed the point entirely. I wasn't talking about conversion speeds (that's a noob concern), I was referring to high action video footage. An average video bitrate of 4000 (VBR encode) may be fine, but if you check the actual bitrate on playback you'll see it is lower when nothing much is happening but during action sequences it is much higher, hitting 8+Mb/s. These higher bitrates are needed to avoid the common artifacts that occur during high action, blockiness/pixilation/ghosting, whatever folks tend to call them. I guess it doesn't matter much with the quality compromised Xvids that most are concerned with, but with a high quality source handcuffing the encoder to a max of 4000 isn't something I (and many others) would ever do.
I get the point exactly, which is to slyly insult via innuendo. Too bad you're not very capable at the practice, otherwise you'd be in government. Anyway, I would say most of my experience has been with FAVC or other encoders, if you put the max even at 9000, and let it calculate, it will set it around 4000 and change for a 2 hour .avi. This breathing space is myth afaics.