View Single Post
Old 19th February 2004, 00:19   #7  |  Link
Didée

@ all

Keep in mind this is only the proof-of-concept version of iiP. The next version is almost ready, and delivers even better results. But sorry to kill your illusions - it will NOT deliver those results faster than now

The script has its name for a reason. This is not an image filter. It is an image processor (!).

Wilbert:

Yes, I'm aware of that missing feature. However, for the given purpose, it just doesn't matter - in contrary.
Of course I would *love* to use anything other than the (slow) GeneralConvolution for edge detection. But, with all the bunch of filters that are now delivering edge masks, not one of these is versatile. Either they deliver binary masks only (I need graduaded masks), or they are not pixel-centered (2*2 pseudo kernels of MaskTools), or they cannot consider all 8 surrounding pixels (vector-matrix implementation of Manao within MaskTools), or they are ... simply not implemented (Kurosu mentions the LaPlacian kernel in MaskTool's Readme, but that feature is not in the DLL!).
Perhaps it's time to post on the development forum ...

alky:

Thank you very much for testing, much appreciated. I didn't test it on analog captures at all - bought a DVB-S card some time ago
For the little problems you had - see further down.

Soulhunter:

Good timing. New version will definetly be online at weekend, perhaps even earlier. Perhaps.

Some little tips:

MOD16 issue
This is not too handy, I know. Next version will remove this limit.
For now, if you need other horizontal cropping, you should crop *after* iiP.
Example:
720ish frame, crop 4 at left, 10 at right, destination=640:
iiP(dest_x=654, ...).crop(4,top,-10,-bottom)
Yes, it's cumbersome, and it's not exact, ... it's a workaround for now. There are more evil things in the world.

Speed considerations
Shortly: good processing takes good time :P
You should try&see if, after all, you need Xsharpening + big supersampling. This alone takes huge time, and is most effective only if you are upsizing or keeping DVD resolution. For downsizing, you could probably live without it.
So, if you set ss2_x=ss2_y=1.0 and Xstren=Xlimit=0, things will go quite a bit faster. Still slow, but more bearable.

In case of a 2-pass scenario, it is not a bad idea to discard the ss2 supersampling + Xsharpening in the 1st pass, and do it only in the 2nd pass.

As of now, I am converting a 40min episode with (the upcoming) version, with the abovementioned fast 1st pass.
On my (only) Athlon1800, the first pass took 9.5 hours, second will crunch for about 16-19 hours.
Encoded framesize is 704*528 (anamorphic), upconverted from a 16:9 non-anamorphic source.
Destination ratio of bits/pixel*frame is >> 0.102 << (hello RealMedia ), and the test encodings looked ... well, not bad

For the next version, deringing will be integrated (and there are some scenes that definetly need this feature!), and the sometimes-appearing flickering of detail is mostly nailed down.

Stay tuned

- Didée

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote