View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:35   #1149  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

I did some testing on IvyBridge today.
System:
* CPU: i7 class engineering sample (E0) @ 2.6GHz.
* DDR3@1333 sodimm.
* Window 7
* 2712 graphics driver
* ZoomPlayer
* CoreTemp
* LAV splitter
* Decoders: LAV 0.50.2 and my own latest ffdshow build.

Good news:
* Managed CrowdedRun (4K@50fps, ~122mbps) with 30% CPU@3.2GHz using both ffdshow and LAV. libavcodec (ffdshow) took 85% CPU@2600 (jumps to 2700).
* This clip is the worst case scenario - very high bitrate, high resolution, high frame rate - stresses all the subsytems (memory, decoder, CPU). Most 4K clips have 1/4 of the bitrate and half the frame rate.
* Other clips played fine no surprises so far.
* A transposed 720p clip (720x1280) played very well. SandyBridge's QS can't play it since the line count is >1080.

The bad news:
* The reference board used didn't have proper cooling and the CPU hit 103C (SW or QS). At these temperatures it activates throttling to cool itself down. This might explain the high CPU usage. I need to rig it with a better fan and test again.

Even with these far-from-optimal conditions the video playback was smooth.

Also, started working on adding HW video processing. Some stuff already works but some issues are too severe for a proper release
I'll commit to SVN my changes soon so Nev can start playing with it.
Added:
* Deinterlacing (half/full rate output)
* Detail filter
* Denoise filter

Not working:
* 50i sources
* Telecined sources

Didn't add procamp (Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Contrast) yet, I'll add it too (very simple to do but not so useful).

Update
Fixed the cooling solution and QS behaves the same. libavcodec now raises CPU frequency to 3.2GHz and uses all cores at 82%.
Intel Corp.

Last edited by egur; 3rd May 2012 at 13:41.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote