View Single Post
Old 9th October 2004, 22:57   #6  |  Link
Wilbert

This forum is about analog capping. I suggest you stick to it, and don't start about dvd ripping.

I also suggest that you only react on stuff what you don't agree with.

I think Fred said it quite nicely, but I will give some additional comments:

Quote:
Ok, add a lot of work to your processor handling and admining 2 different partitions, even when you're capturing with a bigger data rate, above 12000 kbps (with an overloaded Microsoft system with service pack, a lot of temporals and an enormous shell; do you know about all the underground processes that a capture implies?)
Yes, I know a little bit about capping. Of course, you shouldn't do any additional stuff when capping.

But, if you do additional stuff and your CPU usage is 90-100% I wish you good luck with capping using your second OS.

Quote:
had you tried XVID 4 using Quantizer at 1,and Motion Detection on Ultra High, and the pixel motion detection enabled ?
No. In general, people use huffyuv/mjpeg/dv for capping, and not without any reason. If, for some reason, you do want to use an "end" mpeg4 codec, you should use ffvfw and not DivX/XviD. The latter doesn't cope to well with noise and motion estimation (link can be found in the analogue capping guide).

Quote:
Quote:
You should cap both fields. Thus 448x480 (width depends on your cap device/drivers, see analog cap guide).
Try and manipulate ffdshow settings in playing, not capturing, but, most important, use some Divx or video settings calculator and take a look in the relationship between Width and Height.....and 448 x 480, both, are 8 factors too...but better that this, always be 480 x 480, just the middle point between VCD and DVD. That's why I'm talking about the zoom properties of XVID4 codec !!!
and grass is green ..., isn't it?

Quote:
If you're are married with AviSinth it's a matter of romanticism, not of practicity.
Yes, I know a little bit about AviSynth. I guess you don't, otherwise you wouldn't make this remark.

I suggest you do some reading about frameserving and what AviSynth (or VDub) can do for you to enhance the quality of your encoding (hint: read the analogue cap guide), before making more of these nonsense arguments.

Quote:
Frameserver is concibed for a non-expensive hard disk space wasting in a ripping process...had you tried loading whole VOB's in VIRTUALDUB?
Yes, I try it sometimes. The latest version still can't open them.

Yes, I'm aware that VDubMod can open them.

Quote:
OK, gimme your email and i'll send you some, if you don't have enuff space in your inbox
Posting two pics is sufficient:

1) Open your cap directly in TMPGEnc (or CCE if you prefer), encode to SVCD (or DVD if you prefer), and use a max bitrate.

2) Open your cap in AviSynth (or VDub if you prefer), open your script or vdr-file in TMPGEnc/CCE and you the same encoding settings.

Now, post screenshots of a common frame.

Quote:
But now, if you haven't tried to manipulate the VCD settings in a good encoder, like TMPGENC (including frame size and matrix values, XVCD, KVCD and all the family of innovations), how can you say that about VCD or MPEG-1 processes ??? If you don't know about matrix manipulations and compression algorithms I think I'm in the wrong place, 'cause this seems to be an open forum for costumers, not for developers.
Look, it's very simple. XVCD or KVCD is *not* VCD. VCD itself is bad quality.

Quote:
Talking avout VCD, I'm suggesting that as an easy accesible media distribution, 'cause you can't forever know the hardware limitations of your costumers, but most of all, 'cause not everybody can pay for a DVD video editting process, talking in terms of common people.
We are talking about analog capping here. If you actually try to learn something about VDub or AviSynth you will notice it is actually possible to get good quality using *free* video editors. Of course, it might happen that you want something that these editors can't do.

And yes, that might be a reason to use VCD. But, it doesn't change the fact that VCD is bad quality.

Quote:
Just think about making 15 o 20 video editions at week (Marriages, Birthdays, Football games for fans, Animations and Institutional Presentations for Business and stuff like that), you just can't wait until a frameserver or a software encoder does everything for you, specially when an edition process follows and/or preceds that process.
Look, it's very simple. It all depends on the quality that you want and the time you (= your PC) can spend on it. If you don't mind bad quality, or you are in a hurry (and thus using hardware encoder or capping directly to ffvfw/xvid without postprocessing or whatever) resulting in bad quality. Well, I have no problem with that. That's always a trade of we will have to make.

Last edited by Wilbert; 9th October 2004 at 23:26.