View Single Post
Old 18th May 2007, 15:57   #6  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The Haali Media Splitter doesn't "export" the TrueHD track. And even if it did, we'd still need the Nero Audio Decoder for TrueHD decoding. Haali's Media Splitter isn't decoding, of course, it's only splitting.

One thing I just found out is confusing me quite a lot:

The TrueHD track I was testing (Vendetta) is supposed to be 48kHz 16bit. The Nero Audio Decoder always outputs 24bit. Ok, so I thought I could simply convert that to 16bit without any loss. However, I've just checked: If I convert the 24bit Nero output to 16bit and then back to 24bit, the result is different to the original. It seems that there's more than 16bit real information in the Nero output. But the TrueHD track is only 16bit! I don't quite understand this. My only explanation would be that the Nero audio decoder does some processing on the decoded data, e.g. volume adjustment or something like that. That's kind of bad, though, since that means that converting to 16bit may end up harming the audio quality. But keeping 24bit *significantly* increases the final FLAC file size. Arghh.......