View Single Post
Old 30th March 2007, 23:08   #51  |  Link
texmex99

Deshaking a near-black scene

Just discovered Deshaker and it worked miracles on some handheld ski footage (bit hard to hold the camera still while skiing downhill). I am, however, having problems with another clip that I was hoping to "stabilize". This is a shot from a "fixed" camera (sitting on a deck rail - no tripod available) of the moon rising over the mountains. The clip is 15 minutes long, but will be compressed to about 7 seconds for "effect". Unfortunately, the camera was on the deck, and so was the beer, and whenever someone stepped out on the deck for a beer, the camera shook ever so slightly. I figured Deshaker would have no problems with this clip, but I can't figure out how to adjust the settings to make it work. The frame is mostly black, other than a few lights in fixed positions, car headlights moving through the frame, and then the moon rising. I assume that the easiest way for Deshaker to do its magic is to have it lock on to one of the "fixed" features in the frame, but I can't figure out how to tell it what to lock on to. I've tried isolating several parts of the frame, but it won't "lock on" - I guess it assumes that the black is background and the lights are "moving objects". Anyway, any suggestions from the pros here on how to deshake this scene? I've attached a frame with the "fixed" lights circled - those are the features I need to "lock on" to (i.e. they shouldn't move). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images

texmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote