View Single Post
Old 30th April 2010, 02:21   #203  |  Link
boqa

Duplicate frames and deinterlacing

Hi,

First of all, a huge thanks to Fred for sharing this great work with us. It's truly inspiring!

Secondly, I am complete newbie in this field, so I hope for your understanding if my questions are to ignorant

Anyway; I have the 8mm film that has been transferred to dvd by a company. I think that the transfer could be been done better, but this dvd is all I have, unfortunately a re-transfer is not a possibility at the moment.

The dvd is PAL and interlaced. So, I used Fred's script and a deinterlace filer on my source and the result is quite nice, definitely better than my original material.

But I was wondering if result could be better. It has been stressed many times in this discussion that the input must be de-interlaced with progressive non-duplicate frames. So my question is this; is it possible for me to remove any duplicate frames from my source dvd, that is, besides deinterlacing, how can I get my input as close to the original as possible (for using it with Fred's script)? I mean, my DVD seem to be 25 fps (as PAL should be), but the original 8mm must have been 18 fps, so it seems to me that "something" has been done by the transferring company.

I know that you may need further details for answering my question (problem is, I don't know exactly how the company transferred the 8mm to dvd), but maybe you still have some advice for me on how to best prepare my dvd input for being processed through Fred's wonder-script

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks
Jakob

Last edited by boqa; 30th April 2010 at 07:33.
boqa is offline   Reply With Quote