View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2003, 09:27   #4  |  Link
Syndrome Zed

BeSweet/AC3 Machine encoding problems - need advice

I apologize to the mods for this cross-post, but judging from the big Goose Egg I've gotten in replies in DVD authoring, I think maybe the readers of this forum might be a better help. I tried a search but all I found was the well-known AC3enc "volume bug". Anyways....

I'm having a problem with my sound. I was taking an old divx recording and turning it into DVD. I used TMPGEnc to encode the video, but everything I've read said not to do the sound in it, so I transcoded the MP3 of the audio track (48 KHz 2 channel stereo track, originally AC3) back to AC3 using AC3Machine/BeSweet - no errors reported in the logfile. The AC3 plays in Win Media Player without a problem, but it won't play in PowerDVD. Actually, it will play, but there's no sound, even with the volume cranked to maximum - PowerDVD doesn't report any errors with the file either, just doesn't actually play any sound. I thought maybe it didn't support separate AC3 files (it says it does but you never know), so I proceeded with the authoring anyway.

I did all the "fun" stuff in SpruceUp (full version) - menus, etc. etc. SpruceUp imported the video file and seemed to successfully import the audio file as well (the little speaker symbol on the clip asset was present). When I compiled the disk image for burning, no errors were reported. But when I played the image in PowerDVD it still had no sound. So I used DVD Decrypter to extract the AC3 from the new disk image, and it extracted the stream successfully, including playing it again using WMP. Just as another test, I took a DVD from my collection and it played normally using PowerDVD. It had the same kind of AC3 format/bitrate as the one I encoded that didn't work.

So does anyone know where the kink is in all this? Why am I not getting sound in PowerDVD with that particular file, when other programs will play it? I'm at a loss right now, and I don't want to burn a DVD until I find out the problem - I'm inexperienced, but not stupid .

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

QUICK UPDATE: I used the AC3 I ripped from my "working" DVD - the one from my collection - and ran it through Azid/BeSweet (1.5b21 for one try, then 1.4 for a second try, same results) via Gordian to turn it into an MP3. The MP3 played in Sonique normally. I then took the MP3 and ran it back through BeSweet via AC3Machine as I did the first one, and it too stopped working in PowerDVD after that (but still works in WMP). I have all the filters (using AC3filter), have removed Morgan Stream Switcher, updated and downdated BeSweet, and I'm now at a total loss. Is there any other way to re-encode the AC3? Is there a way to set the byte order if that's the problem? I'm so....

Here's the BeSweet Logfile in case something in the command line sticks out as a problem:

C:\GordianKnot\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input C:\Captured Video\DVD Rips\THING\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_PGC_01_1.mp3 -output C:\Captured Video\DVD Rips\THING\VIDEO_TS\Thing.ac3 -logfilea C:\GordianKnot\AC3Machine\BeSweet.log ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -ota( -d 0 ) -ac3enc( -b 320 ) -profile( The AC3Machine v0.4 )

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\Captured Video\DVD Rips\THING\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_PGC_01_1.mp3
[00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\Captured Video\DVD Rips\THING\VIDEO_TS\Thing.ac3
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: No
[00:00:00:000] | Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
[00:00:00:000] +------- AC3ENC ------
[00:00:00:000] | Bitrate method : CBR
[00:00:00:000] | AC3 bitrate : 320
[00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : 2.0
[00:00:00:000] | Error Protection: Yes
[00:00:00:000] +---------------------
[00:24:01:504] Conversion Completed !
[00:24:01:504] Actual Avg. Bitrate : 319kbps
[00:01:03:000] <-- Transcoding Duration