View Single Post
Old 1st December 2017, 04:54   #1482  |  Link
danlock

Right... the stable build has the older version of LAME and older versions of Opus and opusenc.

I want the newer Opus very much [from the unreleased builds] because it is a large upgrade in terms of audio quality when encoding certain files and fixes some bugs.

The unreleased alpha/beta builds contain, as far as LAME goes, an update to "LAME encoder v3.100 Final (2017-10-13), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1" ...

I'm wondering if I lack a support file to run files compiled "with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1". I'll check for a Microsoft runtime for MSVC 14.1 and see if my up-to-date system already has it installed. I'll have to search for ICL because I'm not sure what that acronym stands for. I'm too tired right now to verify that particular acronym, so I'll check it later... or it might pop into my head when I'm more alert.

Thanks for the reply! I know rolling back to the most recent stable build is an option, but that would mean using libopus 1.x rather than the newest 2.1.1 [virtually identical to 2.1] for encoding, and 1.1.x and 2.x behave surprisingly differently when encoding audio.

You can check opus-codec.org or the Opus RFC's most recent update at ietf.org as well as the Opus thread on hydrogenaud.io for a more precise Opus changelog... but I digress.

I'm eager to read LoRd MuldeR's response... does LAME 3.100 Final support every variation of MP3-encoded file? It says Final so it should, right? Did any of the CLI options change that haven't yet been fixed in LameXP's code, or does its method of invocation/hooking differ in some way from the earlier versions of LAME and/or mpg123 which worked correctly? [This version might work correctly as well, depending on a few things on my end.]

I still suspect it might be a missing dependency on my system rather than anything LM did. I keep forgetting to check for and validate certain things that might be responsible.... hmm.

Last edited by danlock; 1st December 2017 at 05:00.
danlock is offline   Reply With Quote