View Single Post
Old 28th April 2015, 14:47   #63  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
No. When stereo appeared (stereo doesn't mean 2 channels but spatial), people put a number of speakers around the listener. It was the need of a researcher and his paper to demonstrate that stereophonic image can be obtained with only 2 speakers. So 3 speakers were a triangle. Like 4 channels in the '70ies were placed around the listener not all in front of him. Therefore a third channel is more logical to be Center-Back rather than Center-Front.
I'm not talking about the position of speakers, I'm talking about the physical wave file itself. You can sit on the third speaker for all it matters, but when you add a third channel to a wave file consisting of two channels that'd normally be decoded as stereo, why would you put it in the middle? Why wouldn't you keep the first two channels as stereo channels and add the third channel as a third channel?

Quote:
It is not. Audacity does not need AFAIK to convert to WAV any file it processes. It converts them however to raw (L)PCM which is not WAV.
Why is it so hard for you to understand a simple point? I never said they're imported as wave files. I said they're imported using the wave file channel order.
Import a 5.1ch file into Audacity and look at the physical order. ie the order the channels appear in the GUI. It's the wave file channel order. It doesn't matter what format you import or the channel order that format uses, they're imported using THE common channel order. The channel order for wave files.
And no, I didn't say they were imported as wave files, in case you're still confused.

Quote:
I wonder how the engineers at Dolby or in Hollywood converted the audio to Dolby 5.1 when WAV lacked this possibility. Hm, Hm, Hm
I don't know, but you're telling the story and it's not going to be satisfying until we learn how it ends. How did they do it?

Quote:
Half-knowing is dangerous, as I see
Channel mask is the MS invention. Dolby had presets: 4 channels could only mean L,R,Ls,Rs, and this could be combined with LFE to get 4.1.
Nobody said it wasn't a Microsoft invention, but HHEELLOO!!!!! We're referring to using a PC and for a PC when decoding different formats and/or encoding using different codecs it's standard to use the wave file channel ordering and wave file channel mask as an intermediate format. I've never said anything different.

Quote:
No, the hardware correctly decoded the files that were not WAV, but I could not get there without passing through WAV due to the tools I am allowed to use. 4.1 it is allowed in Dolby Digital (also in real life, as the video part was dolbidised), see above.
Did you need to convert your 4.1ch files to 5.1ch for you AVR to decode them correctly as per your thread, or was there really some other reason for it you're now only just revealing?

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th April 2015 at 18:01.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote