View Single Post
Old 8th January 2004, 12:30   #5  |  Link
vio

OK played around a bit with some codecs

Bitrates: 5000kbps and 2500kbps, this would equate to 1 or 2, two hour movies per dvd. My clip was much shorter.

Resolution: 1440x704 (interlaced anamorphic mpeg2 source, cropped with avisyth 2.5)

TomsMoComp and lanczos resize.

Xvid, best out of the lot, comparable quality to a 2 cd dvd rip, (per pixel size that is) @ 5000kbps, still very good quality @ 2500 - some blocks. My guess is a lot more quality could be obtained I used the default settings. probably 2500 could be comparable to a 1cd rip. [a third slower than divx5]

Divx5.1.1, second. Just a little worse, still very good. I did not use b frames, gmc or qpel. Also no psy. Standard speed. [Fastest encoding time]

tie for third depending on how you like things:

blurred; divx3, just tried this one for fun. turned out not so bad, bitrate did not affect quality that noticably. Plenty of blurring, smears and little edge atifacts. [almost as fast as divx5]

blocky; wmv9, heaps(!) of macroblocks. I dont use wmv9 that much but used the highest quality (ie slowest settings) went out and had dinner because it was so slow. Very disappointing [Slowest by a factor of 10]

I have never used rv9 and have only looked at vp6 for a few minutes so I didnt try these codecs.

I think the hardest part about a codec shoot out would be some standardized sources. I have no idea where you could find some.

Last edited by vio; 8th January 2004 at 12:33.
vio is offline   Reply With Quote