View Single Post
Old 20th December 2011, 10:25   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
As Chetwood said, instead of paying 150£ more for the playback capacities in a TV, better invest those money into a dedicated player, not only cheaper (see eg WD TV live) but also much more powerful and versatile.
Well, if those TV won't be sold because they are more expensive with no other added features than the presence of a player, they'll get a reduction in price. So one will eventually get those at the price of a similar model but without the player. That is oversimplistic, but since the marketing depts. don't actually listen to the customers, just tricks them into buying, this is the only lever the customers have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
.... when it comes to their Bluray players. Mine's played everything I've thrown at it and if I recall correctly the list of supported file types seems to include all the ones it really supports, including Xvid/AVI.
So, you're not happy with the PC playback of multimedia files, to resort to a standalone you criticised so strongly and factually not too long time ago? Is it something a standalone player might bring that a PC doesn't already have? No kidding ....

Quote:
I have a Sony KDL-46EX723 one of my main reason for getting this TV was the abilty to bung in an external 2TB drive to one of the USB sockets and convert some of my current DVD collection to avi files.
Since you own your DVDs (as opposed to having them already encoded in AVI) you can test several combinations of encoding parameters, until you'll find one that will satisfy your TV. Of course, you might be forced to reencode again these movies to suit the next TV (they won't last forever, some 5 years for Sony consumer models, depending on the usage pattern, of course), but this poses no problem I assume, you have the originals, a fast PC and all the time you need .