View Single Post
Old 10th December 2013, 21:53   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
According to Jean-Marc Valin, that may be due to rounding behaviour (with different optimization levels).
Either that, or the phase of the moon. 60 bytes more/less on a 43510600 bytes file is a difference of 0.00014 percent - which is pretty much nothing

Not that a difference in file size would mean anything. In theory, the bits could be distributed completely different and still the exactly same file size could be hit!

Instead, you should decompress both files to uncompressed Wave/PCM and then add the inverse of the one file to the other file (e.g. use "mix paste" in Audition).

As long as the result is silent - or at least very close to silent - there is no reason to be concerned. Furthermore, you could also try to ABX the files...

[EDIT]

I just converted a complete album (Chinese Democracy) to Opus format, once using the "i386" build and once using the "sse2" build. Both files came out at identical size.

Files were not identical by content. Of course, not. The encoder signature string already differs.

Next I decoded the "i386"-encoded file with the "sse2" decoder and the "sse2"-encoded file with the "i386" decoder, which should be the most extreme test case, I think.

The difference between the two decoded files is silent. There are a few minor peaks in a few places, but noting critical. Average RMS of the diff is -85.79 dB.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th December 2013 at 00:33.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote