View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2004, 09:38   #690  |  Link
desertrat

Hi folks,

been a few months since I was last here and it looks like I've got quite a bit of catching up to do. Anyhow the reason for the post is I've got an update to my bidule that I have u/l to the ftp (desertrat_ambi_combo.bidule) and a need to give a bit of explanation to go along with it.

First I would like to ask that these 2 files be removed from the server
desertrat_stereo2ambisonic_ambi_1.5_combo (ver 2).bidule
desertrat_stereo2ambisonic_ambi_1.5_combo (ver 3).bidule

they were put up way to early, before a sufficient amount of testing on my part, sorry if this may have caused anyone and trouble. These 2 bidules will cause distortion on newer source material ie. anything that has a peak close to 0.0 dB.

So now on to the revised method...

The bidule still has a left and right chain, the left side is taken from EoH's ambisonic method and uses the same settings. The right side is based on the ambi 1.5 method with the WXYZ to 5.1 set to J and the three gain modules after it should be set to the same setting.

I normally use one the following settings for the gain modules -10dB, -15dB -18dB -21dB depending on what sounds best for the particular type of music I'm using it on. The gain must be set for a minimun -5dB or you will most likely get distortion in your end results.

The gain modules allow you to control the amount of mix between the left and right sides. The gain modules are on the right side because the right side has a much higher level than the right side, somewhere around -15db to - 18dB seems to be where there's a pretty even mix between the two.

I have found that -15dB setting seems to work pretty well with reggae and dub. -18dB and -21dB work better on ambient music such as Jarre, Eno, etc.

Cheers,
desertrat

Last edited by desertrat; 7th September 2004 at 09:13.