View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:23   #21  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@florinandrei,

Interlaced resizing is fast, but you pay a price for generating each new field based only on the original field. Any new pixels spacially between 2 original field lines will effectivly be a weighted average of only the pixels above and below in that field, i.e. a blur. Effectively all the pixels in the new fields are vertically blurred slightly.

Using the SmartBob/Resize/ReInterlace method, although slower, will give vastly superior results in static areas because each new field can be based on a full frame. In static areas there is no "spacially between 2 original field lines". Those new pixels are rendered from complete frame data. i.e. no blur in static areas.

Of course in motion areas any difference can be attributed to how good the SmartBob interpolates the missing pixels. If using linear interpolators like in KernelBob or DGBob there will be no difference to Interlaced Resizing. i.e. a blur again. If using Edge Directed and/or Motion Compensated interpolators then the results can be a significant step up from bog interlaced resizing.

And apart from everything else the eye has trouble seeing bluring of things in high motion, it attributes motion to the blur, instead of blur to the blur. So it is a little unfair to look at individual fields on a PC screen, you really should evaluate the results on an interlaced display device at normal speed.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote