View Single Post
Old 7th December 2017, 20:00   #1281  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The CPU is extremely cool when idle -- much lower than graphics cards. Right now, it has mild load, and is only at 25. I have a Noctua on it. I think the TDP of an average fancy graphics card is something like 2x-3x that of a CPU. At best, a graphics card would be in the 30s or 40s when "idle", maybe higher. And I put that in quotes because there's really no "idle" on graphics cards, compared to CPUs, it just gets hot or hotter.

It gets worse when you pay extra for a graphics card to heat the room, then pay again to have the AC cool the room, plus all the fan noise from BOTH the graphics card fan and the AC. When I built this rig, cooling and noise was the priority, with an i7-6700K being required for horsepower.
If your computer can cook a room so hot that you need an AC to counter it, there's something wrong with your cooling solution. My computer sits right next to my mouse-using hand and my hand was ice cold during winter time.

TDP are more correlated to watt usage, it has no relationship whatsoever as to temperature Celsius, your information is wrong. Running 100% of a 250 TDP graphic card does not mean the card goes to 250 degrees Celsius. Most modern cards stayed in the 70s on full loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
Insane values for insanely bad nth gen VHS. That wasn't my script, but I'll continue to play with it. So far, trying to lower values would just disable the good it was doing on the video.

Not sure what the Dragonball reference is to.
Something like this.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote