View Single Post
Old 24th April 2004, 12:29   #5  |  Link
Kedirekin

I haven't had a chance to test this yet; I don't have time in the evenings, and my encoding/burning PC is busy on other things for the next few hours. I know the test itself won't take long, but pre-work (ripping a PGC from a DVD, creating a D2V file) stops me till the PC is more idle. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out later today (have to mow the lawn, change my oil and do the dishes and laundry first though).

That being said, I don't think trying it out really contributes much to this conversation. I'd have to try it on dozens (maybe hundreds) of disks, along with encoding the disks and viewing the encodes, to make any generalized empirical statements. For now theoretical discussion will have to suffice.

I've had time to think about it, and I don't see any reason why it won't work. It may not be universally applicable, but I think it will produce the intended results (a predicition of size to achieve a desired quality) in the vast majority of cases - enough that you probably don't need to worry about exceptions.

It does have limited applicability though (as you've stated). I think it's important that people realize that. It all depends on your goal in backing up your disks.

If your goal is to see if you can fit 2 or 3 movie-only encodes on one DVDR, then this anlysis technique has obvious appeal.

If your goal is one-to-one single DVDR backup (movie only or full disk) with maximum quality (accepting that maximum quality may not be that good, but single disk is mandatory), then analysis won't make any difference. You're best served to do a VBR regardless.

If your goal is like mine - a full disk backup where the decision is to transcode, encode, or split the disk, then there is some appeal but it is limited. The analysis really only applies in a medium-to-high compression scenario when trying to decide if you should attempt an encode or just split the disk. Considering my laziness (or as I prefer to put it, how highly I value my free time), and the fact that I prefer full disk backups (which would require analysis of several, perhaps many PGCs), I'd probably be better served to just re-encode the disk and see how it turns out. I'm mean no offense by this; that's just how I see it (of course, if the analysis were automated, that would be different).
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote