View Single Post
Old 14th February 2003, 21:07   #17  |  Link
trbarry

It does appear that overly filtering this way makes it hard to get sharp edges like in text overlays or some anime. It's funny I haven't noticed the same thing as much with DctFilter.

I'd guess this would be especially noticeable at high bit rates with quant 2 so this type of filtering might possibly work better as the low side of some modulated quant process.

In any event, the real test is to compare quality at the same bit rates. All quant 2 encodes are not equal if you are changing the matrices. I've been comparing these recently just using a 1 pass CBR just to see what I can get away with.

I only tested it on video images, though both at high and low quants and bit rates.

Though, as I mentioned above, the first one I posted (SoftMatrix) was intended to be a pretty extreme example. It throws away well over half of the information in the DCT output. But it also gives the most improvement in file size, or quality at the same low sizes.

The best way to see the matrices is just to load them. It's too late now but if you save your existing default custom matrix first you can bring up 2 copies of Vdub and compare them. The values where 255 (previously 99) is plugged in are those higher frequency diagonals I intended to erase. Basically the further you are from the top left corner the higher the spacial frequency it is representing.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote