View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 14:46   #99  |  Link
Rockaria
nobody's nobody

Quote:
Quote:
btw. Ivan why 2pass not work with stdin. This is powerfull option for long encodings can't be used for movies. I am not crazy to convert ac3->5.1wav
It does not work ATM as it would be somewhat complicated to support that - but we will see if there is a way to do it.
The ideal way would be 1st pass analysis-> rewind -> 2nd pass encoding like what avisynth is doing with 2 pass volume gain.
For a temporary gui integration work around, foobar2k's %s(instead of -) input file definition for the cli encoding(-br 128000 -2pass -if %s -of %d) will use a temporary wav in the destination folder, which would be a lot faster if you can use the ram disk large enough depending on the available extra ram(the virtual memory use would be a lot smoother though).

Quote:
- What bit-rate mode are you using? (abr/cbr/vbr/2-pass)
-br/-cbr but no -abr/-vbr
-2pass/-2passperiod but why no -1passperiod for -br?
-segment/period size for -cbr(the segment seems not be 1 sample)/-abr/-vbr(entire length segmented abr?)
The reason why I asked for the clarification of the bit rate options in my previous post is that we seem to use different terms for the unclarified similar phenomena.
As both quality based & bitrate based options are widely used for VBR(ie. vorbis, lame...). The difference between the ABR and VBR for the bitrate based option seems to be lying in the segment/period size(samples/ms).
Also check, the CBR for AAC seems to be natively ABR(nSamples for the unit segment), which can be verified watching the dynamic bit rate status within the foobar2k or ffdshow. Any inputs?