View Single Post
Old 26th December 2018, 15:57   #1765  |  Link
Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
x264 does not have a "maximum bitrate" option (other than the VBV options). And the options available in the GUI are, of course, a strict sub-set of the options that x264 offers.

Note: You can not have something like a "maximum bitrate" without a properly defined buffering model. And that's exactly what VBV does. So you actually want VBV here

See also:
https://slhck.info/video/2017/03/01/rate-control.html
→ section "Constrained Encoding (VBV)"
Thanks for explaining on x264 and linking the vbv related articles, I got a better understanding of using vbv now.

Mainly the problem that I'm facing is how to properly define the buffering model for different types of video. Like there is a CBR/2pass encoding to get accurate targeted average bitrate even though the quality will differ in encoding different sources, so I was looking for a similar function that can produce constant result for max bitrate, and perhaps there is something that I did wrong, I can't seem to get that with vbv.

Quote:
If your encode always “maxes out” your maximum bitrate, your CRF was probably set too low.-[Understanding Rate Control Modes (x264, x265, vpx)-section "Constrained Encoding (VBV)"]
I can cope with the fact that it maxes out the maximum bitrate, but in my case, sometimes it will exceed it depending on sources and that's what troubling me.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by Rocinante; 26th December 2018 at 16:00.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote