View Single Post
Old 27th January 2017, 21:25   #4660  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
You need to update your build, looks like the patches were resubmitted due to bugs and your build uses the old patches.

I also guess that for non restricted VBV like normal encoding with ABR, the function serves little use. I wonder whether it could be adopted to apply based on complexity rather than stating actual numbers, which would vary from encode to encode. For instance, a particular video might have scenes where there is low complexity, and there is plentiful use of P and B frames. There could be points in the video where the complexity increases such that fewer P and B frame could be utilised, resulting in a higher bitrate. When this occurs a higher complex-analysis seting can be used, 0.5 (variable strength) could be used there and scales upwards further with higher complexity. The setting would therefore be the scaling rate, such that a lower setting would be more constrained in the scaling, and not a fixed rate, based on perceived complexity of the current run of frames. This would make it useful for normal use and not a per-encode use that is required with the existing code due to stating VBV limitations that varies with content, complexity, and resolution.

I realise this isn't the purpose of it spefically, it's just an interesting concept that could be repurposed. Just an idea .
Sure, we can extend this technique to wider applications. This initial function was developed for those who use "capped VBR" rate control (CRF, with VBV). In this scenario, quality is constant until you reach a place where VBV kicks in to enforce decoder parameters. In these places, quality will take a dip. To counteract that, we allow x265 to dynamically increase encoding efficiency in these areas (similar to using a slower, higher quality performance preset). But yes, the concept could be extended to general ABR or CRF encoding.