View Single Post
Old 18th January 2009, 11:22   #7904  |  Link
starkhouse33

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you give me more information about this? Which flag do you mean exactly and is it set wrong in those TS files?
h.264 streams broadcast in Europe have the video flag set wrong in their encoder. using eac3to to slow down the video I would then have to run the file through ts4np and check change video full range flag in the options to have the video play correctly on my popcorn hour.

here is a quote that explains in detail what is wrong from a popcorn hour user.
Quote:
Sky and probably other European companies have a bug in their H264 encoder. The sequence header indicates that they use full color range when in reality they are encoding using limited range. Their own STB ignores the flag so their normal customers are not affected.This is not a Sigma or NMT bug and they are doing the correct thing.
I suggest patching the original source files to correct the flag.

Broadcast digital video uses 16-235 levels, whilst PC video uses 0-255 levels. Therefore video black is at 16, and white at 235, whilst PC black is at 0 and white is at 255. Therefore video at 16 is black, and white at 235, whilst the PC is at 0 black and white is at 255th

If you get PC and Broadcast levels confused - or feed broadcast levels to a PC display or vice versa you can end up with crushed blacks, blown out whites, or nasty washed out pictures. If you get PC and broadcast levels confused - or broadcast feed levels to a PC display or vice versa you can end up with crushed blacks, whites blown out, or washed out nasty pictures.

This can be caused by the wrong format being flagged in a header - or a header being mis-interpreted.

All satellite receivers will assume 16-235 - but the video content could be flagged as 0-255 and ignored. All satellite receivers will assume 16-235 - but the video content could be flagged as 0-255 and ignored.