View Single Post
Old 17th March 2013, 16:42   #11  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstech View Post
K Lite Mega Pack
I use that and pretty much only that.
It can be handy and also quite a bit to handle if you're new to it.
I've configured mine to let lav filters handle video and ffdshow to handle audio.
I let the splitters pretty much stick to the default settings.

There's a few very handy tools that comes with KLCP.
You can find them in the installed directory or the Start Menu>All Programs.

Codec Tweak Tool, gives you quite a bit of control over your installed codecs. You can enable/disable filters like ffdshow/lav/xiph/microsoft/third-party/etc. You can also disable any codecs/filters showing up as broken (probably due to incomplete uninstallations where one component is uninstalled and not the rest or other various reasons). You can set the preferred splitters for AVI, MKV, MOV, etc. It gives you access to all your installed (and active) directshowfilters like ffdshow, lav, haali and directvobsub. It's "Fix" function can come in handy after uninstalling old stuff or when you install something new that interferes with your current configuration.

Win7DSFilterTweaker is great for Win7/8 users. Only a few functions available but very powerful.

GraphStudioNext works almost like GSpot but displays the used codecs/filters/splitters in a graph and provides more functionality. It also has benchmarking so you can test a video with different codecs/filters. The graph can be saved and used for advanced editing or something or other that I haven't really looked into.
Others can elaborate more on the use of saved graphs.

I quite like using the GSN to quickly diagnose why a video won't play in MPC-HC.

I would definitely look into the dedicated forums for ffmpeg, libavcodec and ffdshow. Even if just to read what they're doing.

Also testing a few videos in controlled environments will really help you decide which you like better for given circumstances.

Lav doesn't really provide as much filters for processing videos or audio as ffdshow does.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote