View Single Post
Old 10th August 2018, 09:46   #3  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I would use today M2TS (container) with the unmodified content (MPEG2, MPEG4) instead of any other alternative, like MP4 (restricted in audio codecs diversity), or MKV (multiple streams possible issues with some players).
While I agree with you on avoiding reencoding and use a container instead which can handle the original streams, I disagree about your preference for M2TS. According to Wikipedia the M2TS container only supports the following video and audio formats:
MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264, VC-1
AC-3, DTS, LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD, Dolby Lossless

This is not very much compared to MKV or MP4. I also disagree with your opinion that MKV "has failed". Of course some hardware devices only support a subset of the possible MKV features, but generally MKV as well as MP4 are univerally supported these days (of course depending on the stream formats. My Xtreamer media player does not support HEVC or AAC-LATM due to its chipset).

If I understand the OP correctly then he seems to be determined to reencode the content (using Handbrake or similar) to save space. If so then the H.264 (AVC) video format and the AAC audio format are a good choice these days. IMO it is still too early to jump on the H.265 (HEVC) codec, still a lot of development going on and poor hardware support. Using X264 at a CRF of around 18 is pretty much transparent and well suited for archiving. If you prefer Handbrake or any other of the many encoder GUIs is strictly a matter of taste.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote