View Single Post
Old 4th June 2013, 18:46   #18982  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Not that that 23.97605 Hz really helps much when the clock deviation is so high at 0.00472% with a dropped frame every 14.84 minutes like their screenshot.
Well, the article text did mention that they got an estimate of one frame drop/repeat every couple of hours, IIRC. Not sure why the screenshot doesn't match that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
If you do implement a high CPU queue like 128, you may want to consider adding an additional slider for the Subtitle queue and/or have it match the GPU queue size instead. Setting the Subtitle queue smaller than than CPU queue I would actually expect would improve reliability in cases of CPU bottlenecks, similar to how setting the CPU queue slightly higher than the GPU queue does.
Why would setting the Subtitle queue *smaller* have a similar effect compared to having the CPU queue *bigger*. Both subtitle rendering and decoding are CPU tasks. So I would expect a *bigger* subtitle queue to be benefical for reliability. Of course CPU consumption will be higher while filling the queue. But once it's filled it doesn't matter how large it is. CPU consumption should go back to the same value. So I don't see any problem with a large subtitle queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Wait. If I understand this correctly, if you use the same HDMI port for audio *and* video, they should be governed by the same clock (since, AFAIK, in HDMI audio is transferred during the blanking interval between two frames).
In theory this sounds right. But in real life it doesn't always seem to work that way. I'm not sure, maybe they still use different clocks somehow. But what do I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
I did some more viewing with Smooth Motion rendering on tonight - watching snippets of films I've watched over and over again (you know those AV demo worthy parts that are worth watching over and over again )

what has really shocked me is how with Smooth Motion on - I'm noticing details I've never noticed before - when I say details I don't mean as in it looks sharper, or there is more detail on screen so to speak, but just that there seems to be so much more content in any shot with motion

genuinely leagues better - ok there is the odd very minor additional artefact - but perfectly acceptable

I'm not normally one for "post-processing" - but whatever Smooth Motion is doing it works for my setup - so thanks !

I'm comparing 24p from MadVR as 24p input into TV (my Panasonic plays 24p at 23.976hz which is quite unusual) - you get noticeable flicker in Windows Desktop - but no obvious flicker whilst watching films

to 60p from MadVR as a 60p input into TV

in theory the Panasonic playing 24p content with near to no processing without Smooth Vision should be the ideal setup - but with Smooth Vision on its leagues better
Good to hear. FWIW, there have been multiple Panasonic plasma owners now saying similar things. It seems that the 24Hz implementation of Panasonic plasmas is severely lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callannn View Post
Hi, I seem to be having a slight problem. Usually on playback I get no dropped/delayed frames at all, but sometimes I can watch the exact same video again (that I've previously had no dropped/delayed frames) on a different day and receive a significant amount of delayed frames (usually ranging from around 70-130 I've noticed). Does anybody know why this is?

If it helps, here are my specs: Samsung NPC700G7C, 16.0GB RAM, Intel Core 17 3610QM @ 2.30GHz, GTX 675M
I'm also using Niyawa's Guide and use it exclusively for anime playback. I'm also using his 'highest settings' for the scaling algorithm's.
We don't have enough information to help. Without any more info all I can do is give general hints like:

(1) Make sure you disable tools/applications which might eat GPU performance. E.g. newer Firefox/Chrome/IE versions might use the GPU for rendering tasks. Or recently it has been reported that the "f.lux" and "GpuZ" tools can also result in video playback problems. So close them before watching a movie.

(2) Make sure your GPU doesn't clock down. This has happened to some users. I think some tweak tools allow to fix the clock to some specific value.

If these hints don't help, make a screenshot of the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) in the moment when those frame drops occur. If you can't make a screenshot (FSE mode?), please at least write down the state of the queues and report them here. Then we can go from there...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote