View Single Post
Old 19th March 2002, 19:53   #1  |  Link
rob77979

VHS Tape to SVCD - GEForce3 ti 200 VIVO

I have just installed an MSI GEFORCE3 ti 200 64M DDR with VIVO. My setup is: AthlonXP 1700, 256MB DDR, 40 GB 7200RPM HD.

I am using it to make a SVCD from an OLD VHS tape of my children, and I am having a few problems. The reason I am trying to get to SVCD is that I don't have a DVD writer, and I want to make the highest quality disc I can which will play in grandma's set top dvd player.

First, the card came with WinCoder (capture) and WinProducer (editing) software. In capture mode, the resolution options are: 720X480, 640X480, 352X? (note: no 480X480, which is the SVCD standard). So I captured the VHS tape to an MPEG2, 720X480 (bitrate is like 7000, I think). This MPEG plays about as clean as could be expected, as clean as the original.

The problem is, WinCoder and WinProducer have no options to capture or transcode the MPEG to the SVCD standard. I have to use WinProducer to "save as" an AVI, then use DVD2SVCD to create my svcd image from the AVI. Each of these operations takes about 2.5 hours on my computer for this 30 minute video. I tried using Nero to transcode the MPEG2 into svcd, but the results were pretty crappy.

Anyone got any better ideas how I can get this rig to make SVCD's from VHS tapes? I am not familiar enough with the intimate details of this business to do this with the various tools out there (like the component programs in "DVD2SVCD") - unless I could find some step-by-step instructions ;-)

Thanks
Rob
rob77979 is offline   Reply With Quote