Thread: cce avs woes
View Single Post
Old 9th December 2001, 15:22   #4  |  Link
Kedirekin

I appreciate the responses, really I do. But I don't think there is a solution to this.

However, to set your minds at ease, I'll reply in kind.

I could try the ecl trick, as I'm of the opinion that CCE is crashes when it requests the avi information through the avs. However, I'm in the middle of a 21 hour encode, so I can't try it right now.

I believe the ResampleAudio command is a hack for AMD processors. I'm encoding with Intel processors. Besides, I've done dozens of encodes using AviSynth, and I've never needed ResampleAudio before. I appreciate the suggestion though, and since it'll only take minute, I'll give it a try when the encoding session is done.

Here is a copy of one of my avs files.
Code:
LoadPlugin("E:\RIPPIN~1\DVD2SV~2\MPEG2Dec\mpeg2dec.dll")
AVISource("E:\DVDCopies\OutlawStar\EPP1_tpr-vfapi.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
TemporalSmoother(2,1)
BiCubicResize(448,448,0.00,0.50)
AddBorders(16,16,16,16)
Some background: I used TMpg to do IVTC (I don't like avisynth's IVTC filter - besides, TMpg IVTC is faster). I used vfapi to convert the IVTC tpr to avi, hence AVISource rather than mpeg2source. I cropped overscan in dvd2avi, hence the resize to 448,448 and the AddBorders command. I load mpg2dec.dll to allow me to use TS, and the ConvertToYUY2 is necessary because vfapi avi is RBG, but TS needs YUV.

Some more background: I currently have 9 avs files on my hard drive, all identical to the above except for the AVISource (EPP1, EPP2, ... EPP9).

On Friday night, I started encoding. I wanted to do eppisodes 1 through 4. However, CCE would crash when I tried to add the 4th avs. And the problem wasn't EPP4.avs; I could load 1, 2, and 3, with crash on 4. I could also add 4, 3, and 2, with crash on 1. Very strange, but WTF - I decided to encode 1, 2, and 3. They finished sucessfully Saturday afternoon.

After a few hours ripping subtitles and encoding audio on Saturday, I decided to start 4, 5, and 6. Now CCE crashes when I add even one avs. I even tried reloading 1 (crash). I tried reloading 3 (which had just finished encoding a few hours earlier - *crash*). Rebooting does no good.

So now you can see why I think there is no solution for this. At the moment, I'm thinking the obvious gradiated (but rapid) degradition points to a performance issue (i.e. CCE crashes if it doesn't get the avi information quick enough). I notice that getting the first frame in vDub from these avs files is noticably slower than it has been in the past (yes, I can open the avs files fine in vDub).

The most likely reason for loss of performance is HD fragmentation, but all this is happening on an NTFS partition, and I have no tools to defrag NTFS, and I'm simply not ready to restage this PC. Maybe after the holidays.

FYI: at the moment, I'm frame serving avs files 4, 5 and 6 though vDub and encoding in CCE that way. This results in about 10-15% lower performance, but I did the first 3 via avs, and I want to maintain consistency across the 9 episodes. In future (till I can restage), I expect I can apply resize and temporal cleaner in vDub and avoid AviSynth altogether. That, plus avoiding the extra RGB-YUY2 conversion, should gain me back some performance, so it isn't all bad (though I've never liked having to keep multiple vDub frameservers running while I encode).
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote