View Single Post
Old 14th June 2015, 16:05   #31023  |  Link
iSunrise

@madshi
I have enhanced the squirrel so that hopefully you can see what I mean with heavy artefacts with LL. I just want to make sure we are speaking of the same things.

I did enhance both shots with GIMP (input levels set to 0, 2.00, 255) so I basically amplified the medium values for both shots to show you what I mean. Hopefully I can rest my case after this, because if you deny that LL looks a lot worse on the squirrel in the following shots, I will just give up. Because it seems you aren't interested in facts, anymore. You are making changes WAY too fast for anyone to catch up and that saddens me greatly. I am not sure why you suddenly rush things when there wasn't any screenshots from people that still use madVR, apart from maybe TheLion, which I appreciate. Especially since you invested so much time in madVR already that waiting a few more days for others to judge won't hurt anyone.

No LL, enhanced and cropped:

LL, enhanced and cropped:

The samples I provided show the exact same behaviour and the "blackness" that consumes the image more and more if you upscale makes these images a lot worse in general. It's almost like LL crushed black levels.

I am very interested in your opinion on this.

For the strength values, a good middle-way would probably be 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0. So for people that prefer to oversharpen a lot, 2.0 is good for them, 1.0 is good for a medium sharpener and for low-resolution content, 0.5 is already sharp enough without amplifying compression artefacts too much.

I have a hardware-calibrated Eizo that shows perfect levels from 0-255, this is the same monitor that I used when we did the dithering tests and I never changed any settings that could make my results different from others. I now even have it running in perfect 10bit mode (FSE), thanks to you. I even made sure to use the defaults, no change, as expected. If people really want a worse algorithm and don't judge what they see with screenshots (because the eyes cannot judge picture details) all the tests that the majority did are worthless. As harsh as it may sound.

You just cannot judge with your eyes alone, plain and simple. It's a combination of eyes, analysis based on some example images and some subjective inputs.

Last edited by iSunrise; 14th June 2015 at 16:30.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote