View Single Post
Old 24th September 2003, 12:51   #12  |  Link
Didée

Okay people, here comes a new extended version.
This one is - well, it's not too bad

But first some answers:

mf: Yeah, I rather prefer to be a member in that club, compared to always abuse AviSynth for nothing more than "XYsource()-FilterTheHellOutOfIt(max,max)-Return(ToDivX@UltraFast)"

@ all: Thanks for the flowers

Mug Funky, scharfis_brain:
It is already possible to use another bob filter for rendering - but currently it must be changed in the script itself (at the top). Since the script is still changing, I didn't parametrize that yet. Same goes for 'debugging' mode (at the bottom).
However, using two different bob filters slows the rendering down additionally. Actually I'm trying something ... read on.

What's new:
- Replacing decision works much better now.
- Simple pattern guidance helps a lot in predicting blends that are missed by the metrics.
So far, quite as promised.
- Just for the fun of it, a prototype of "TomsBobSpecial", which claims to be a SmartBob, directed by static edges. Works quite good so far for rendering (greatly reduces shimmering on logos and (sub)titles, and as a bonus reduces rainbowing), but is not yet well enough tested for blend detection. This one requires currently Kurosu's MaskTools - and works on P-III, too.

What's NOT new:
- I tried to utilize Kurosu's MaskTools for the relating stuff. It works flawless on my Athlon, but I had crashes on a Pentium-III.
So, for stability reasons, I put here the script with native AviSynth implementation. Those who want to try it with MaskTools instead, please do the un/commenting in the sccript yourself - it is marked.

My results so far:
This version renders my test streams - captures of (the new) Enterprise Season 2 - near to perfect. YUMMY! Jerks due to doubled or dropped frames are very, very rare now.
Still problematic are scenes where most of the frame's content is in-focus and totally static, but motion appears in the blurry fore- or background. This problem is by design of the detection function. (But I already have an idea ... )

What's next:
- refine pattern guidance - currently, in rare cases, it might mislead
- perhaps deal with 'motion-only-in-blurry-areas'
- play a little more with 'TomsBobSpecial'

Try it out, friends!
Personally - please excuse me - I myself am impressed. When I started out with it, I didn't really expect it to become that good.

Have fun

- Didée

P.S.
If anyone would like to host the script(s), please do so! It's a little strange to *post* a script like that. And I (still) have no webspace configured. Yes, I'm a lazy man.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote