View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 19:10   #688  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I tested the sample (cut ac3) file I was going to send you and it worked so I don't think it could be worth... but if you mind, the produced (intended) file was a 3Gb wav, there might be some hint...
I think I know what the problem is:

Wave files (and RIFF files in general) can't grow lager than 4 GB. The limit might even be 2 GB, if the application interprets the chunk "size" field as signed.

There is some confusion about how the "size" field has to be interpreted, but more than 4 GB will never be possible with Wave files. There is no easy workaround for this restriction.

I think Valdec will create a RF64 file rather than a Wave/RIFF file, if the size becomes too large. And it seems that SoX doesn't support RF64 files. The same applies to most tools!

(The only real solution would be switching to "RF64" as the common intermediate format. But as long as most of the audio tools don't support RF64, this is a lost case)

Quote:
I don't know about that, I just wonder if avs processing has ever worked or not.
My avs2wav tool, based on the tool by Jory Stone, does work for me - most of the time. There only seem to be certain configuration that trigger the strange error.

I don't know why this happens. Actually I don't think this is supposed to happen at all...

Quote:
I don't think Comodo keeps track of all the hobbyist applications I install (I doubt), but yours is the only one that didn't offer the option to "trust application". In this regard I think it has more to do with some nature of the program rather than Comodo white-listing, I still can go to Comodo options and manual white list LameXP, doable but a bit annoying. Just letting you know some curiosities of LameXP.
Maybe Comodo isn't prepared for the fact that LameXP is a front-end application and will launch other programs in the background.

There is no workaround, because this is "by design". Only way would be adding an option to Comodo that allows whitelisting a program and all child-processes it will create.

Quote:
Despite I still don't understand why a full copy of the file needs to be done (megui didn't do, behappy doesn't either if I'm not wrong...) what I refer here is that in the decoding stage of the wave file an exact wave file copy is done, this is before any filtering, just decoding, then a second copy is performed for the filtering dummy (normalisation, whatever).
The processing steps in LameXP are as follows:
Decode source file to temporary Wave file > apply all filters on the temporary Wave file > encode temporary Wave file to final output

Actually there is a "shortcut" implemented in LameXP:
We can skip creating a temporary Wave file, if (and only if) the selected encoder can read/decode the individual source file directly.

This "shortcut" cannot be use if any filters are applied, for obvious reasons...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 1st May 2012 at 19:16.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote