View Single Post
Old 29th January 2011, 19:31   #193  |  Link
STC-Fan
MeGUI / AviSynth user

Excellent results

Tried this out today with one of my PAL VHS captures - really impressed with it. Using QTGMC with just the "Slow" preset has produced a massive improvement when compared with my current filter choice in AviSynth, which is MDegrain2i2 + Cnr2k + Yadif.

My only problem now is that I get a Visual C++ runtime error along the lines of "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way", which happens after a short while when I try to do a 2-pass encode with x264 in MeGUI, which I am guessing is down to the program running out of memory.

I've only tried SetMemoryMax() with a value of 512 so far, and that hasn't resolved the problem. Presumably, I will need to increase the value to 1024 or more, and close Firefox when the encode is running along with any other programs.

Before it crashed, I was getting around 5.6 FPS on the first pass, which is fairly reasonable. I'm a bit surprised that even with SetMTMode(2) that I can't get more on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 - I suppose I could try a faster mode in QTGMC, or get myself a computer with a bit more power; I'm thinking along the lines of something from Cray, to be honest :P

I put up some comparison screenshots and sample scripts - the best thing is the reduction of jagged edges on the graphics, which the old trio of filters couldn't really do much about:

Original frame | AviSynth script

MDegrain2i2 + Cnr2k + Yadif | AviSynth script

QGTMC 3.0, Slow preset | AviSynth script

Overall, though, it's a very good script, this - I think that QTGMC3 could even be better than Cillit Bang / Easy-Off BAM