View Single Post
Old 7th June 2010, 19:19   #3067  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
I use FFDShow's subtitle renderer and I don't have any problem with 720p or 1080p sources.
Of course, there could be a problem with low resolution videos on big screens (like 1920x1200 here), but I do not usually watch SD materials anymore. I think RGB32 output won't help in this situation.
I ran into this problem once but text was readable after some tweaking (with Spline64 resize, Lanczos will create ghost images around the fonts). I had to change the Outline and Shadow settings.
My usual settings are 1 and 2 for HD materials, but I set them to 1 and 0 for SD sources (and I use gradient shadows). And I had to use bigger font size for SD than I usually prefer (which is small, my guests always blame about that and they request much bigger fonts...).
And the last thing. I set the subtitle position to the center of the screen. (The other blame factor but I never move it away. I would not like to drag my eyes and randomly miss the movie picture or the subtitle. And a small subtitle won't cover too much of the picture...)
Give it a try.

Why do you want to change resolution on LCD display? They should always work at their native resolution and it won't harm anything if you keep it at 120Hz all the time.
Window-Fullscreen is weird, yes. But nothing to worry about. I would request many other changes/improvements/fixes before these things. (Sorry, I do not want to provoke you, just...)
This is VSFilter and madVR, bicubic60 for everything (YV12):

This is VSFilter and EVR (RGB32):

Corner case, but you get the idea. This is zoomed on a 720p source, quite visible without zoom too. Black and white subs, no problem since there's no chroma there. As soon as you introduce colors things get out of hand real fast because of the chroma subsampling needed for YV12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Why do you want to change resolution on LCD display? They should always work at their native resolution and it won't harm anything if you keep it at 120Hz all the time.
Window-Fullscreen is weird, yes. But nothing to worry about. I would request many other changes/improvements/fixes before these things. (Sorry, I do not want to provoke you, just...)
I mean real time video resolution change, not screen resolution
And yes, I agree, but weird things need to be noted even if they're not important. In my case, it annoys the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Subtitle is very important to me, but as long as madshi still say "subtitle pin is part of the plan", then I don't think RGB input will be needed much.
Even if you achieve perfect subtitle rendering, YV12 only still has the problem of, well, only allowing YV12 content to be played with madVR. The vast majority is YV12, but it's not the only one.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote