View Single Post
Old 25th January 2021, 01:20   #6  |  Link
cungybuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
mpv dithers by default, I'm not sure any other players do. You can achieve comparable shots just by turning on dithering, but how each does it is definitely not standardized. I'm pretty sure mpv injects a tiny bit of noise in the process to "boost" the dither for many scenes that are already flattened in the source; MadVR will do something similar if you set it to 6-bit output, which isn't ideal, but beats flat washed-out surfaces on bad 8-bit video. MPDN had a fantastic renderscript to inject a tiny bit of noise via shader, but I haven't been able to get MPDN to run in years.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the artifacts I'm seeing are part of the source? I'm willing to accept that conclusion, but one of my reservations about doing so is that these are Blu-ray rips I made myself, and they're of high-budget productions like Better Call Saul and Westworld. Surely, there wouldn't be so many artifacts in the Blu-rays of these shows?

Furthermore, I did what pirluoy suggested and experimented with the --dither-depth and --profile settings in the mpv configuration file. --dither-depth is set to no by default, but when I removed --profile=gpu-hq, I got an image similar to that I've seen in other players—one accompanied by artifacts.

You also mentioned mpv injecting some noise into the video by default. I looked through the manual and found an option by the name of --deband-grain. The manual stated that its set to 48 by default as it "significantly helps cover up remaining quantization artifacts." I set it to 0 in my configuration file yet found no discernible difference.
cungybuns is offline   Reply With Quote