Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 13th November 2013, 09:35   #275  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
I see. In other words, it is better just leave it alone and do something else. Because GPU implementation might not pay off due to bouncing textures, CPU implementation might not pay off due to nnedi being much better choice.
Well it depends on if you are willing to take the risks. Ofc a GPU implementation will be faster if the time lost by copying textures over the buses is a lot smaller than the time won by the GPU processing. If the filter it very slow, than GPU processing will probably still be a good choice. But this means whether it is worth it or not also depends on the difference in speed between your CPU and GPU. It is well posisble that someone with a slow-ish CPU but modern GPU will see a huge benefit, while another guy with a fast CPU but non-gaming (or old) GPU will be hurt by GPU processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I agree that license is complicated thing, and while many parts of avs+ are rewritten and could be put under, say , LGPL, many part also don't. At least on core filter I have been working on, the C++ files are rewritten but header file mostly remain the same. And it's very hard to track which piece of code are written by whom.
Exactly. Even if large parts have been rewritten, it is not practical to change the license without permission from previous authors, because without permission, we'd have to track every line which license applies for that particular line number.

On the other hand, the current "GPL+public header exception" is practically the same as the accepted interpretation of the LGPL, so we might be able to pull that change off. It will only work with LGPL though, not with other licenses like MIT. Also note that the 2.6 header is not under the exception right now.

To summarize, trying to get ALL the code under LGPL could be possible, but we'll need other opinions on the matter than just mine, coz I'm not sure if even that is okay. Any other target license surely requires getting in contact with all the previous contributors.

Last edited by ultim; 13th November 2013 at 09:40.