View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 01:07   #472  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: No good results

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus
I did some testing today and I'm afraid I don't have good news.
The rears sounded terrible ! There was a definite delay, so bad that it sounded like echo !!
I will recheck all the settings, but I'm sure I got them right this morning.
It may be a problem with your levels or your SIR settings. The rear level should be low enough so that the sound appears to come from the front but if you shut off the rear, the whole soundfield collapses to more or less the original stereo field.

Also, make sure you have the center level high enough because what appears in the front left and right channels is basically what is unique to each channel. The center needs to be high enough to re-construct the original soundstage.

This also reveals the one downside with my approach in that one really needs to be able to monitor the mix in surround and not simply monitor everything to the two Microsoft Mapper channels as in your original guide. It's not necessary to have a proper 5.1 computer setup. I`m just using a 4.0 setup and mixing the center and LFE channels into the front. So far, the tests I've done when burning DTS CDs and playing them on my true 5.1 system have shown that I`m getting close with the monitoring.

As for ambisonics, I was playing around with a 3rd-order setup last night and while it still was terrible in terms of separation, it does some interesting things to the music, bringing out instruments that were buried in the stereo mix. I`m thinking of trying a combination of the MatrixMixer Emulator with the ambisonics.

By the way, have you tried the real MatrixMixer DirectX filter from SourceForge? I'm very impressed with its sound. If we could just fit it into a bidule! It provides exactly the kind of big, expansive sound I'm looking for in an upmix.

Last edited by ursamtl; 26th May 2004 at 02:50.