View Single Post
Old 9th December 2007, 23:29   #1090  |  Link
manono

Hi-

The next time you upload a sample, please try and have more movement. There's not much that can be learned from a sample where 2 people are sitting and talking. Anyway, you asked via PM for a full tutorial, something I have no intention of doing. By keeping it public, others can learn as well, and others who know more about the subject than I can also add to the discussion.

It's from an Indian DVD, as I suspected. However, this one is just hard telecined, and based solely on the sample, a simple:

TFM()
TDecimate()

will work fine. The reason I said I wouldn't trust MeGUI's analysis (or any automatic analysis), especially for NTSC Indian DVDs, was because over 90% of the classic film DVDs and probably over half of modern film DVDs are field blended, and no analysis is going to pick up on that. In such cases you use the RePAL filter, Restore24, MRestore, CDeblend, or some other unblender.

One way to determine what you have is to separate the fields (SeparateFields()), or put on a bobber (Bob()), and examine the fields carefully. In this case, after seeing that DGIndex confirmed it to be NTSC and Interlaced, and making the D2V with Honor Pulldown Flags, followed by bobbing it, I saw there were 2 fields the same followed by 3 fields the same, a sure indication of an already telecined source. For field blended sources, after separating the fields or bobbing the source, an examination of the fields will show a good percentage of them being blended, or ghosted, or having double images. In such cases an IVTC such as TIVTC won't work well, and I prefer to use rePAL. But sometimes they're even worse, being field blended 23.976->29.97fps, or even double blended, and those are especially difficult to work with.

To learn more I would suggest reading at the AviSynth site, reading the documentation included with TIVTC, reading the documentation included in the DGMPGDec package, and reading the DVD2AVI tutorial, outdated as it is:

http://www.doom9.org/ivtc-tut.htm
manono is offline   Reply With Quote