View Single Post
Old 9th February 2012, 05:10   #14676  |  Link
mandarinka

I tried enabling software scaling, but it seems to me the aspect ratio handling might not be working as expected.

I tried to play a 16/9 movie on a 16/10 LCD (1680x1050), so I followed the instructions here: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.ne...:resize_aspect

(That means, "specify horizontal and vertical size" enabled, set to: 1680x1050, "keep original aspect ratio" enabled, "process pixel aspect ratio internally" enabled. At the same time, I disabled "keep aspect ratio" in mpc as the help entry suggests.)

If I understand the help properly, this should scale the image, keeping the aspect ratio, until width or height hits the specified dimensions. However, ffdshow will also pad the image with black bars to meet the specified resolution on top of that, it will expand 4:3 or 16:9 frame to the full 16/10 of the LCD.
This has two weird consequences: subtitle positioning is changed, and if you switch the player to window, the black bars padding will affect the windowed display.

Is this how it is supposed to work, or am I missing something? I'm afraid don't recall how the function behaved in the past, so I have no idea if this is actually a regression or standard behaviour...

(revision tested: 4296, x86 MSVC buld from xvidvideo.ru; windows XP sp3 home, MPC-HC 1.5.3.3819)

P.S. If the padding is intentional, I'd like to suggest adding an option to disable it. It would make the scaling more useful if ASS subtitles that rely on positioning are used.

Last edited by mandarinka; 9th February 2012 at 05:17.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote