View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2004, 15:55   #32  |  Link
SomeJoe

Quote:
Originally posted by Soapm
Can you give us more input on how to fix an AC3 5.1 file?

Ex. After reading your faq, when I demux a file that has 5.1 AC3 audio I use the file verify option in soft encode to check it. If the diagnorm is -27 and it sounds ok I don't touch it. However, I have one that sound encode will not open. Any ideas how to fix it without destroying the quality?

I also have one that the diagnorm says reserved. Any idea what that means? Is this a good thing?

What if I just want to add light compression to a 5.1 AC3 file? Ieas on that?
If Soft Encode won't open the AC3 then the file is probably corrupted. You may be able to fix the file with one of the tools that fixes bad AC3 frames (not sure of the names of them ... maybe one is called AC3fix?)

I have no idea what the "reversed" message means. Never have seen that before, but I only use Soft Encode rarely.

Changing the metadata parameters of an existing AC3 file (i.e. changing the dialog normalization parameter or the DRC mode) should be theoretically possible by altering the metadata in the AC3 stream. But I know of no software which can do this. Writing it wouldn't be too tough for some of the guys around here IF we could find some detailed specs on the AC3 file structure -- but I doubt Dolby is going to post that.