View Single Post
Old 5th April 2018, 16:22   #50082  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDVader View Post
I have a JVC DLA-RS400 projector which up-converts to 4k and can do HDR, albeit, badly (the HDR that is).

However, my existing HTPC setup is not ideal for 4k due to HDMI cable length and aging HD7950 graphics card.

So, is it possible to down convert but retain the wide color gammet content? If so, how should I setup the MadVR HDR settings? I'm running win7 to a 1080p Denon receiver (which prevents passing 4k to the projector.
You can calibrate your display for a wide color gamut in SDR mode (e.g. BT.2020), but the brightness will still be lacking. And your AVR may not passthrough the gamut. You would have to test. You would be referring to the HDR -> SDR conversion feature of madVR, which will passthrough the original gamut if you set this display is already calibrated to DCI-P3 or BT.2020 and set HDR to convert to SDR with pixel shader math.

However, before you test, you will need a graphics card with a 10-bit HEVC decoder, as your current card will not be able to downscale 4K -> 1080p, nor will it be able to decode it.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th April 2018 at 16:58.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote