View Single Post
Old 19th February 2010, 17:25   #6912  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
That is blazing fast! I almost exclusively run 2-pass encodes because I just create AVCHD ISOs for burning to disc and playing on my PS3 or family/friends BD players. I just re-OC'ed my Q6700 from 2.66GHz to 3.33GHz and encode a ~2 hour 720p movie in 4.25 hours. In my experience, the difference between encoding at 720p and 1080p -- at least in 2-pass -- is that 1080p takes about 50% longer.

I had been struggling with whether to spend the $1,000 or so on a new i7 rig or a NAS, but the new rig is getting more and more tempting Besides, I think this C2Q has enough power to be a nice little server in its own right
I used to use 2-pass, but decided hard drives were cheap and if I am taking the time to backup my collection then I might as well not sacrifice too much. On a 2 hour movie, 2-pass was generally 20-30 minutes slower than CQ. In most instances I can backup a movie in realtime or faster. For instance, I am backing up my Planet Earth discs now and each episode is around 50 minutes and it is taking 50 minutes to back them up. That is at a bitrate of 10,000kbps+ and decoding VC1 (which is generally slower).

In my case I have turned my main computer into my server. It stays on pretty much all the time (since I am almost always encoding) and so I just keep stacking drives in it. I am looking at some NAS boxes now, but I just can't justify the expense... yet.
Balthazar2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote