View Single Post
Old 24th March 2016, 15:18   #37095  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FWIW, instead of SSIM 1D 25% without Anti-Bloating try combining SSIM 1D 100% with 50% or 75% Anti-Bloating. Try downscaling a sharp high-quality high-res foto to a *much* smaller resolution, e.g. 4x or 8x downscaling factor. It may change your mind.
I tried but I still have the same opinion as earlier. To my eyes, SSIM doesn’t have any bloating effect and so when anti-bloating is applied it’s thinning effect makes the images look kind of unnatural. Also SSIM has a characteristic look – crisp images with nice defined textures; that look goes away with anti-bloating. Having said that, I very much appreciate all the efforts that you put in providing new algorithms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Images say more than words. So here are a couple of comparison screenshots, showing what Anti-Bloating does when used with AdaptiveSharpen:

original - | - no sharpening - | - AdaptiveSharpen 1.5 - | - AS 3.0 applied in 2x supersampling - | - AS 1.5 + Anti-Bloating 50% - | - AS 1.5 + Anti-Bloating 100% - | - AS 0.5
Nice to see this comparison. Anti-bloating works very well with sharpening algorithms.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote