View Single Post
Old 27th November 2008, 22:40   #7159  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
SD DVDs with a mpeg2 video stream that is a combination of progressive and interlaced. I've seen it numerous times when I try to strip the pulldown flag. Just wondering what's going on, is there an acutal frame rate change? I assumed DVDs were all progressive on the source by nature.
This is a complicated topic. MPEG2 streams can be encoded as separate interlaced fields or as frames. A frame doesn't have to be progressive. It's very much possible to encode two interlaced fields in one frame. So even if an MPEG2 stream consists of frames, it can still be interlaced in nature. Now on top of that you can build the MPEG2 bitstream in such a way that only 24 frames per second are actually encoded, but the stream still plays at 60i, because there are flags in the stream which tell the decoder which fields are supposed to be repeated to do the 48i -> 60i pulldown.

In real life you can not trust the DVD bitstream encoding. You can not trust MPEG2 broadcasts, either. Both often switch between all the various bitstream encoding formats (60 interlaced fields, 30 frames, 24 frames with pulldown flags). Even if you have a stream with 24 frames and pulldown flags throughout the whole DVD, you still cannot always trust that everything is progressive. It's still possible that the wrong fields were encoded together into frames or that the pulldown flags are plain wrong. Because of this a good DVD player usually ignores all this stuff and simply decodes the stream as 60i and then uses a real video processing chip (e.g. HQV Reon) to figure out which of the fields belong together by analyzing the actual image content of all the fields.

So IMHO DVDs should never be treated as being progressive - unless you know for a fact that they are encoded perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillie View Post
Looking at the mediainfo details for the .ts files which don't work it looks like something odd is going on. The "duration" of the .ts file is twice what it should be. But the individual .mkv and .dts files both have the correct duration.
If the individual mkv and dts files seem to work correct on their own then why do you think the problem has anything to do with eac3to? It seems that the files produced by eac3to work perfectly fine on their own, but the TS file produced by tsMuxeR does not. So this looks like a tsMuxeR bug to me. And that's going to be my stance - unless you can find some evidence that something is wrong with the MKV and/or audio files produced by eac3to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
so, the studios are now using the DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks with the "strange setup" on real movies too and not only on some BD demos.
It seems so. I'm not sure how many different movies are out there with such tracks, but at least one movie is. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to fix this. It's technically too complicated. The only proper solution would be for people who have licensed ArcSoft and who own such a problematic 7.1 Blu-Ray disc to report the problem to ArcSoft and ask them for a DTS-HD decoder fix.