View Single Post
Old 1st December 2016, 08:58   #41064  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've heard a lot of feedback about the new settings dialog organization. Thanks, guys.

But I don't remember anybody commenting yet on the new NGU-Low quality level. It's faster but softer than the old NGU-Low. But is it still "acceptable"? How's sharpness, aliasing, ringing etc for you? Is it worthy of the "NGU" sticker?
I think NGU-Low is great for 720p->1080p upscaling. Switching between NGU-Low and NGU-Very High I see little to no difference with 720p content, except for a very very (did I say very?) small increase in sharpness.

I am now able to run NGU-Low on 720p60 videos, where I couldn't use any NGU levels before with my HD 7770. It's also significantly faster than Jinc+SR2.

There is a bigger difference with SD videos. There is a noticeable quality increase between NGU-Low and NGU-Med, with then smaller increases all the way up to Very High. Surprisingly I am able to use NGU-High on 480p60 videos with render times around 10ms, so it's not much of an issue.

If you are somehow able to make NGU-Low sharper without increasing gpu usage, that would be good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Maybe Catmull should be used in place of bicubic150? I've never a/b them though. I thought we were all happy with Catmull, especially as as downscaler, for a long time
Please no. Bicubic 150 AR is a very fast and good alternative to SSIM. It's even better in some ways judging from the pics posted above (we are talking microscopic zooming levels anyways, in practical terms they are almost the same). After upscaling good content with NGU, I don't want to then make it blurrier with Catmull-Rom.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 1st December 2016 at 09:06.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote