View Single Post
Old 13th September 2017, 23:38   #1004  |  Link
johnmeyer

Code:
# Film restoration script by videoFred.
# Denoising, resizing, stabilising, sharpening, auto-levels and auto-white balance.
#
# Modified by John Meyer, October 7, 2012
# Modified by John Meyer, July 7, 2015 (remove errors)
# Modified by John Meyer, September 13, 2017
#
# Changes made by Meyer (June 8, 2010):
#   1. Replaced the MVDegrainMulti function, which was part of the original MVTools
#      with the equivalent function using the newer and faster MVTools2.
#   2. Added RemoveDirt function prior to Degrain in order to eliminate large dust spots. This
#      substantially improves the dirt removal capabilities of this script. The user will need to 
#      download this plugin at:
#          http://www.removedirt.de.tf/
#   3. Eliminated a great deal of sharpening. The original script did sharpening in at least four places.
#      With grainy film stock, this sometimes created objectionable grain. Also, the limitedSharpenFaster
#      function, while excellent for video, is uncessarily slow, and isn't really needed for this low 
#      resolution source. Too much sharpening can make the film look too much like video.
#   4. Added multithreading. I was able to roughly triple the script performance. It may be possible to
#      substantially increase this, perhaps as much as 12x instead of 3x. However, the autolevels function
#      would have to be replaced.
#   5. Fixed several things I found. The result3 option didn't have the manual color correction code, so I 
#      added that back in. All the numbered "stab" variables (stab1, stab2, etc.) aren't needed except 
#      for providing a test function for stabilization. I eliminated all of this to streamline the script.
#   6. Deflicker seemed redundant, given all the averaging that takes place with MDegrain, and also the averaging
#      that is done when the autolevels outputs are selected. 
#   7. I reduced the number of frames used for averaging autolevels from the default (which is 5) to 2.
#      I probably should add a variable in the header so the user can change this. Something else to do
#      in the future ...
#   8. I added yet another set of crop parameters. I did this because both my capture and my output are 
#      done using NTSC DV AVI which is 720x480. However, 8mm film is almost exactly square, so the captured
#      720x480 video has black bars on the side. These need to be cropped off prior to doing motion 
#      stabilization, but then added back prior to the final output, which must still be 720x480 with the
#      black bars on the side.
#   9. I reduced the default depan settings to 20, which is what was recommended in the original script. I
#      also reduced the post-depan cropping. I did this so I could keep as much of the original frame
#      as possible.
#  10. I removed the second denoising and sharpening function. It just seemed to be too much, and made the 
#      result too artificial
#  11. I removed the MVFLowFPS interpolation. I did this during one of dozens and dozens of attempts
#      to improve the speed of the script. I should probably add this back, but if I do so, I also 
#      need to make it work correctly for interlaced output. If the goal is to show this on an NTSC or PAL
#      television set, then it is not correct to convert from the film fps to 25 fps progressive (PAL) or
#      29.97 fps progressive (NTSC). Instead, this should be done as follows (example given is NTSC):
#
#         MFlowFPS(source,super,backward_vec, forward_vec, num=60000, den=1001,ml=200)
#         SeparateFields()
#         SelectEvery(4, 0, 3)
#         Weave()
#
#      This yields interlaced 29.97, which has twice the temporal resolution as 29.97 progressive, and will
#      therefore look correct on a TV set. I have done a lot of this as part of my Kinescope to video
#      conversion scripts. For those scripts, the goal is to make the filmed version of a TV show look
#      like it was actually videotaped. However, for something that originated on film, this "does violence"
#      to the original feel of the media. It is true that it can make horizontal pans less "juddery," but
#      it won't feel like film anymore. Also, this technique does break down, espcially with fast motion
#      in the foreground.
#  12. Removed the unecessary "coloryuv(off_U=blue,off_V=red)" statement from the denoising section.
#  13. Added killaudio() statement to prevent lockups when using SetMTMode().
#
# Changes made on October 7, 2012
#
#   1. Modified RemoveDirtMC function to do estimation in two steps. This improves performance and quality.
#   2. Modified MDegrain to do estimation in two steps. This provides roughly the same quality with blocksize=8
#      as what I was getting with blocksize=4, but with virtually no performance penalty
#   3. Updated to use special build of MVTools2 that works with SVP.
#   4. Moved Autolevels inside special multi-threading section in order to improve performance with autolevels.
#   5. Removed all trim commands because I do all editing outside the script (in Vegas).
#   6. Included two alternative ways to do frame interpolation: SVP and InterFrame. The InterFrame script is probably better
#      but I included the SVP code because it may provide a starting point for more customized approaches. Neither is enabled by default.
#
# Changes made on September 13, 2017
#
#   1. Replaced old useless color correction with GamMac.
#   2. Removed never-used manual controls.
#   3. Moved deflicker to end of chain because GamMac introduces flicker.
#   4. Moved RemoveDirtMC to happen AFTER denoising.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote