View Single Post
Old 4th May 2002, 18:37   #46  |  Link
Gawen

@DeXT
Quote:
@Gawen: I think I prefer the /BIN method because in any case you have to mount the CD, and HD images are harder to create. It would be great if it would fit in a 1.44 MB image because this way everybody can do their tests much more easily. This comment about Linux being able to mount XCD tracks (I assume you can read the M2F2 tracks?) is pretty interesting. It would help a lot if you can confirm this and tell how Linux access its contents (ie. in RAW mode like Windows or just the user data).
I am actually evaluating. 3 choices:

- Patching vcdfs to kernel 2.4.18
- Using cdfs, a somehow enhanced alternative to vcdfs
- patching mplayers vcd code to accept XCD

Cdfs means building a kernel module or compile a static kernel, patches ... you know i am not a c crack. My actual strategy is mount the cd with cdfs, mount the XCD track to a loop device (thats the way cdfs works), read the RIFF header and generate a link to the data file named from RIFF header content (later multiple links to multiple files plus a playlist for mplayer), then start mplayer play that link. I am NOT ready with it yet.

2.88 floppy format is no problem, it only means you will get a 2.88 linux boot floppy image file from me. It does not need to be written to a real floppy drive, its the image "El Torito" bootloader uses as a virtual floppy drive to boot the cd after having read it from a cd track. But it needs to be a value bioses can be spoofed with, so max is 2.88 MB. I hope it will be possible to use mkisofs for win32 to create a cd with the linux autoboot files on windows maschines.

Give me a day or two more for a prototype.
Gawen is offline   Reply With Quote