View Single Post
Old 14th September 2003, 23:41   #5  |  Link
jollytim

I believe the price of CD's may be rising a little in 5 years as the price of DVD's have dropped drastically making less demand for CD's with a following drop in production. Somewhere along the line, a standard favorite format for DVD R's will exist (+/-).

I think Microsoft will still be a big name in video compression just due to the sheer amount of money they can dump into development (and litigation against competition).

Divx will also be a household name as they are commercial and will be developing more and more hardware players. Their codec should be good too but I think somewhere along the way there will no longer be a 'free' version, hence Xvid and others will surpass them in this area.

I think there will be a container similar to Mostroska but for commercial use that one would have to pay for initially and would self destruct after so many uses (but the programmers of the world will already have hacked the destruction mode, as this is what happens when one tries to corner the market).

For the do-it-yourselfers there will still be developments in h.264, realmedia, Xvid, perhaps Divx, and probably a couple of new compression formats as well as containers (hopefully there will be something so innovative that it will breath new life into the mix).