View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2003, 17:12   #2  |  Link
trbarry

FreQi -

I'll be making up a mini-guide that follows how I've been handling it. I'll post it here but it is still only in the planning stages right now.

But I can summarize a 3 step process:

1) Use HDTV2Mpeg2 (v1.09 or v1.10) just to verify which PID numbers you want, that is, which sub-channel you want from your input stream. You don't actually have to save any files here, just write down the 2 numbers. Optionally you can also use this to cut commercials though I prefer to do it later in VirtualDubMod.

2) Use the save-oe HDTV supporting version of DVD2AVI to make a project file, demux the ac3, and also to decide how you will process the file (which VirtualdubMod template). A test binary of the save-oe version is on my site at www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip. Note you still have to set the PID numbers in the DVD2AVI.ini file for HDTV in this version. Also, you usually can't use Force Film on HDTV and will need Decomb(), TomsMoComp(), or YV12InterlacedReduceBy2() later.

Since the PID numbers are almost always one of the pairs <x11,x14>, <x21,x24>, or <x31,x34> I personally just have 3 folders with 3 copies of DVD2AVI and the ini file and then just start the right one. It's a small program.

3) Then (with Avisynth 2.5 and MPEG2DEC3) use VirtualdubMod to open an HDTV template with the Open Using Avisynth function. I'll post some templates (shell Avisynth scripts) for HDTV with my mini-guide. Or just make and use an Avisynth script. I keep the ac3 so I also load the ac3 file into VdubM here, set the audio delay, cut out commercials if needed, set audio to direct stream copy, and encode. You can also edit the script (Tools->Script Editor) at this point to uncomment some extra filters in the template.

I mostly encode with Xvid and find HDTV needs at least a bit rate of about .25 bits per total pixels encoded. I usually reduce the dimensions to either 1280x720 or 960x544, cropped to remove black bars. For 1280x720 @ 30 fps this comes out to about 7 mbps and for only 950x544 @ 24 it's only about 3.1 mbps, though I may use a bit more.

The real limitation tends not to be the space required but the needed CPU to smoothly play Xvid HDTV clips which rises with higher bit rates, resolutions, and frame rates. For this reason I avoid the newer fancier compression options like b-frames, 1/4 pel, and GMC. This is not just because they are experimental and maybe subject to change but because all of them can tend to need a more powerful CPU to play at higher resolutions. So use them with care but be aware a bunch of folks on the Xvid forum will know a lot more about this than I do, so maybe seek advice there.

And for 60 FPS progressive source material (like 720p or 480p) I'll reduce the frame rate using SelectEven(), possibly followed by Decimate(cycle=5) to get either 30 or 24 FPS.

Most of the rest of the stuff you will need can be found in the Avisynth 2.5 (YV12) FAQ. After the DVD2AVI step it's basically just like processing VOB's except with bigger pictures.

To get you started, here is the HDTV_1080_To_Qtr_Res.avst template. This is is a fast simple one that will deinterlace/ivtc most any 1080i stream to a 960x544 output. Just cut and paste it to a file by that name in your Virtualdubmod/template folder, then say Open With Avisynth, choose this template (first!) then choose your .d2v project file as the input file.

Code:
#ASYNTHER HDTV_1080_QTR_RES (To 960x544)
[MPEG2Source("%f",cpu=0)]
#crop(8,64,0,-64)        # Uncomment to crop if needed
#UnDot()                 # Uncomment to remove mosquito noise
YV12InterlacedReduceBy2()
#Decimate(cycle=5)       # UnComment for movies to get 24 fps
return last
Feel free to ask here again if you have more specific questions on this. My post here was just a brain dump of what I'd been planning.

BTW, kudos & props to the Virtualdubmod & Avisynth teams for making all this a bunch easier than it used to be.

- Tom

edit: Since I've got this far I've made this thread sticky until I get a real mini-guide out.

Last edited by trbarry; 23rd March 2003 at 18:27.
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote