View Single Post
Old 7th June 2015, 23:11   #30845  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I'm doing some testing with SuperRes on 288p low-quality videos.

First I wanted to see what difference the upscaling algorithm made with SuperRes. Jinc3+AR looks great. Bicubic still look good but slighly less. NEDI doubling + SuperRes, however, looks best!

Then, "High" quality makes blocking and artifacts more visible.

Interestingly enough, "NEDI defaults" at high (2 passes) looks nearly identical to "non-double defaults" at medium (3 passes)!

With NEDI, 1 pass @ "NEDI defaults" does look better than 1 pass @ "non-double defaults"

With NEDI + 1 pass @ "NEDI defaults", upscaling with Jinc3+AR gives a weird distortion... Bicubic actually does a better job here!

NEDI+Jinc looks more blurry than Jinc alone, but NEDI+Bicubic+SuperRes looks best.

With "NEDI defaults", instead of 2 passes, I can do 1 pass and increase strength from .65 to .75 and get almost the exact same result. Since SuperRes is expensive to run, you might want to do defaults for 1 passes.

Now... as to whether .65 or .75 is better is up for debate. .75 does make blocking and artifacts more visible... I'd opt for in-between, .70. I prefer this over the 2-passes default.

Activating LumaSharpen has a very subtle effect but it looks nice.

Activating FineSharp makes the artifacts stand out and makes the video look "cartoonish", I leave that off.

Overall, best setting is:
NEDI Doubling + Bicubic(75)+AR + SuperRes NEDI defaults but 1 pass strength .70 medium quality + LumaSharpen
Rendering time: 10.5ms for 288p on 768p

Second best setting is:
Jinc+AR + LumaSharpen
Rendering time: 9.7ms for 288p on 768p

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:05.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote