View Single Post
Old 7th June 2015, 22:25   #30843  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I've toned my preset down to medium for HQ content after seeing the high removing "a lot" of detail on LQ content.

For me Madshi's is more selective, as in it better preserves edged detail, more accurately I should say rough detail.
Where as Shiandow's blurs out more and ignores preservation of edges/rough detail. As in it removes more more easily, which is fine for LQ content where it softens the rough detail on gradients/textures.

Yeah Madshi's is more selective where it gets applied where as Shiandow's seems to get applied everywhere no matter how strong effect you set.

I use Madshi High + Shiandow 1.00/0.01+grain for LQ content (SD, DVD, ...).
480p preset:
Code:
if (deintFps > 31) or (srcWidth > 2100) or (srcHeight > 1200) "2160p"
else if (srcWidth > 1400) or (srcHeight >  800) "1080p"
else if (srcWidth >  800) or (srcHeight >  600)  "720p"
else                                             "480p"
I couldn't figure out a way to make the decisions based on area due to missing arithmetic, but if someone knows how let me know.

Shiandow 1.00/1.00 removes maximum but starts to also remove useful detail with large radius like facial features, so having the margin minimum ensures the removal is done only at small radius, at least that's how I see it.

Don't know why such a useful post-processing is suddenly removed soon after it was added.
I'm keeping v0.88.10 for sure.

As you can see above, Madshi's does pretty much nothing on rough LQ content even at High, but Shiandow serves nicely to "wash" the image, which true removes a bit of contrast but the rough detail is reduced as much as you like. As long as margin is minimal it's not that crazy with altering features of faces and objects.
your example screen only show the negative effect of both debanding algo at the same time.

not sure what you try to achieve there to my eyes you are simply removing as much details as possible.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote